Now that the Government has permitted hair salons to reopen after the coronavirus lock-down, we wanted to reassure you that we are following all the safety guidelines. We understand you will have many questions before returning to the salon. On this page we’ve answered the most frequently questions from clients. If you don’t see an answer, please do get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org
What precautions has the salon taken?
We follow the guidelines issued by the government and fully comply with the recommendations of the National Hairdressing & Beauty Federation (NHBF). We have completed a Covid-10 Risk Assessment to ensure the safety of both staff and clients.In overview, our salon safety and hygiene procedures are:
- A single stylist throughout (to minimise unnecessary contact)
- Hand sanitisers and soap dispensers throughout (and in the restroom)
- Styling stations that comply with social distance rules.
- A fully sanitised and disinfected styling station, surrounding area and backwash (we have procedures to be super hygienic, for each individual client, all the time).
- A single-use, disposable full-length gown – and a disposable mask.
- All staff will wear approved protective garments and visors. We also have masks that can be worn on request.
- Perspex screens at reception, and procedures for disinfection of ‘high touch areas’ on a constant basis
Our ‘house rules’ for clients
- Rearrange your appointment if unwell
- Use our hand sanitiser at the entrance
- Limiting the amount of guests in salon at the same time
- There will be no waiting area in salon (anyone accompanying you may need to wait outside) until your appointment.
- On arrival answer our personal health questions so we can play our part in tracking or to complete the form online click here
- Put your own coat and belongings on the coat hanger, separated from others
- If you would like to, bring your own mask, or use one of our disposable ones
- We may need to limit some of our service; This may include dry cuts, blow dries, beard trims
- We kindly ask that you refrain from eating in the salon.
Do you have an appointment only system?
Yes, we do, and booking can only be made by telephone and online. We don’t accept any unscheduled appointments, or any visits to our salon to make an appointment. This helps with social distancing in our salon, which we aim to maintain at all times.
What PPE do stylists and staff have to wear, according to the guidelines?
The following information is from the government guidelines together with those of the National Hair and Beauty Federation (NHBF).
“The stylist providing the service should wear a clear visor (and a mask if needed) that covers the face and provides a barrier between the wearer and the client from respiratory droplets caused by sneezing, coughing of speaking. Both disposable and re-usable visors are acceptable. It should cover the forehead, extend below the chin and wrap around the side of the face.
“Face coverings must be worn by clients, but cannot be used by staff instead of a full face visor when working close to the client’s face, mouth and nose.
“When clients are not having a treatment or service, the stylist and the client should maintain social distancing and a face covering will not be required.
“The evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you, but may provide some protection for others if you are infected but have not developed symptoms.
Will the stylist expect me to wear a mask?
There is no government guideline requirement for clients to wear a mask, although we will provide a disposable one to you and we will require to be worn at all times and dispose of safely once you leave our premise. Our aim is to keep both you, and us, as safe as possible when you are with us.
Are you collecting track and trace information?
Yes. We must keep a temporary record of our clients and visitors for 21 days and assist NHS ‘Test and Trace’ with requests for contact information if needed.
Are you using hairdryers in the salon when you re-open?
Yes. There are no restrictions on the use of hairdryers contained in the government guidelines.
but we may need to limit some of our services: This may include dry cuts, blow dries, beard trims.
Can I have my hair washed and blow-dried?
Yes, you can have your hair washed and blow-dried in the salon. We will let you know in advance if we cannot provide blow dry service.
How many people are allowed in the salon at the same time?
The government guidelines set no specific limit to the number of clients and staff we can have in our salon at any one time. However, the guidelines stipulate that we must maintain ‘one metre+’ social distancing. We have procedures in place to ensure that this is the case and that 2 metres is maintained wherever possible.
Is talking between clients and stylists allowed?
Yes. The government guidance and that of the NHBF simply recommends back to back or side to side working (rather than face to face), wherever possible to keep the amount of time spent in a client’s ‘high risk zone’ (the area directly in front of the client’s eyes, nose and mouth) to a minimum.
Are the toilets in the salon open?
What are you doing about clients who are pregnant, unwell, shielding or vulnerable?
Clients who feel unwell must stay at home. If they have made an appointment, we will not impose any charges for a cancellation, and will provide the opportunity for clients to re-book as soon as they are well and not isolating. Until 1 August 2020, clinically extremely vulnerable people should continue to shield, and will not be given appointments in the salon. People at moderate risk, for example, clients over 70 or who are pregnant, are advised by the government to stay home as much as possible.